Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The journey

Weighing my luggage
 from the house
      I arrived early to the airport because I was paranoid about missing my flight due to traffic and/or security, so I ended up waiting in the terminal at Intercontinental for about 2 hours. Rookie mistake I suppose, but I'd never flown by myself before.
      I slept practically the entire flight to London after I watched Thor for the first time, FINALLY. Waited another 1.5 hours in London before my flight to Madrid.  More sleep. When I landed I had no idea where to go or what to do. The first two people I spoke with basically told me that if I didn't start booking it I wasn't getting to Malaga, no solid directions for where to go or what to do. When I finally located the correct place to check in, the woman at the Iberia desk was a dream. She directed me perfectly and I made it with plenty of time to spare.
Me and Hulk at the airport in Madrid. 
         Overall things were working out quite in my favor, until my arrival in Malaga when my luggage, as well as the luggage of about 5 other passengers, never showed. My immediate thought was that either my mother jinxed me or she blessed me. While I was packing, I was stuffing my heaviest belongings into my carry-on so as to avoid a surcharge on my checked baggage, when my mom suggested I put a few necessities in the carry on just in case my luggage gets lost.
*Don't worry, Mom, I immediately settled with the idea that you clearly blessed me. As usual*
           After I sorted out the lost luggage report, I caught a bus to as close as I could get to my hostel. It was an easy find and a quick walk. Paola, the receptionist, helped me find the bus schedule for Sunday, answered all 100 of my questions without complaint, she even was kind enough to hold my luggage for 6 hours while I walked around Malaga the following day. I whole heartedly recommend staying at the Feel Malaga Hostel to anyone visiting that area. It is new, quaint, and the prices are great as well!


3 comments:

  1. Great first blog! I'm glad everything went smoothly. Can't wait to hear about your walk around Malaga and see more pictures. Hulk looks like he's having a blast too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. What were your first impressions? What strikes you as most unexpected? Most familiar? What have you learned about yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Mom my first impression was "WTF these ppl lost my luggage!" but after that I was quickly reassured by all of the helpful directions people were giving me that assisted in my timely arrivals to my desired destinations. I expected everything closing for siestas, but not for them to all be closed on Sundays as well. That posed a problem for the girl who was lacking in a few necessities. I discovered that not only was my Spanish completely horrible, but the ppl in Andalusia speak with accents that left with even more of a loss and over-whelming confusion.

    ReplyDelete